Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Victory!!!

Last Christmas I decided to weigh myself at the in-laws house. I hadn't paid attention to my weight since sometime in college and at that time, I weighed around 150 pounds. I expected something similar now, give or take a little bit. Imagine my surprise when the needle on the scale pointed itself to 186!

I spent the next month or two (or three or four) in a mini-depression, devouring bags of chips in single sittings. Putting down 12 packs of Pepsi in a few days' time. Kelli swears I ate more than she did while she was eating for two! (I think I just took on all the cravings she was supposed to be having at the time!) I even double-checked it on a scale at school, to no avail. I spent the time from Christmas to May whining and talking about doing something about my eating (and grazing) habits. On May 1st, I actually did something about them.

I decided to give up pop. I was drinking 2-3 cans a day (and those are just the ones I admitted to Kelli). I decided I didn't need it. I was going to quit cold turkey. So I did.

One week into my mission, I realized that those Family Size bags of Nacho Cheese Doritos I could eat whole during an episode of LOST probably weren't good for me either. And since I hadn't eaten any chips since May 1st, I decided to add them to the list. What's another three weeks?

In the middle of May (two weeks in), a coworker asked if I wanted anything for lunch from McDonald's. It suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't eaten fast food since May 1st either! With only two weeks to go, why not add that to the list as well?

Today, June 1st, I can officially say that I have successfully completed my mission! I learned that I can definitely live without fast food. I didn't miss McDonald's near as much as I thought I would. Chips are also something I discovered I can do without eating as ravenously as I had been. Pop is another story. I can't even begin to describe how badly I craved a can of Pepsi or Mountain Dew. Fast food and chips I can stay away from. Pop, I discovered, I cannot.

On Sunday I hopped on the in-laws' scale again, and smiled as needle settled on 170.

4 comments:

Kali said...

I resent how easily men lose weight. I don't resent you, however, because you share my addiction for soda. I too cannot live without it.

P.S. 'Bout time you give up McDonalds! Gross!

Ashley Jorgensen said...

One question remains...where did the McDonalds bag come from?!?!

Jordan Henrichs said...

One of Charly's many babysitters left it in our refrigerator! I see how that could be misleading . . .

Staci said...

I'm with Kali...men lose weight way too easily. Good job!! Doug and I are hoping to give up some things this summer....unfortunately, at the top of the list should be an ice cold beer. After going a whole summer without it, though, I just don't think I'm capable :)