Friday, November 4, 2011

Watch Me Read the Book!

Mo Willems is a genius. He's this generation's Dr. Seuss. If you've ever read his books Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, or Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale, then you know what I mean.

I love children's literature but don't get around to reading much that's out there for early readers. Recently, I was advised to check out Willems' Elephant & Piggie books. I bought a few "for Charly" and became obsessed. They are hilarious. Even Uncle Taylor, a junior in college, laughed out loud when he reached "the twist" of There's a Bird on My Head!

And they're the perfect size for Charly. She loves sitting in her new big-girl bed and flipping the pages. She laughs at Elephant and Piggie's hijinks on each and every page and sometimes we wonder if she actually is following what's going on in each story.

Reading books has become Charly's favorite thing to do. Drawing and coloring ranks not too far behind. I think she's going to have a creative soul. Both being teachers, Kelli and I couldn't be more excited to watch her begin learning new things through books and expressing herself in creative ways like drawing.

1 comment:

khenrichs said...

Oh Charly!, Grandma loves Gerald & Piggie books too! I love it that you like to read books! I had so much fun at our sleepover this week reading and coloring and having a picnic in the living room! Jordan, I love your love of books! It's always so fun sharing book ideas with you.