Monday, August 1, 2011

Up All Night

So Kelli and I recently sold the rights to our story to NBC and they are turning it into a 30-min comedy sitcom called Up All Night. Sure Saturday Night Live alum Will Arnett would not have been my first choice to play the role of me but Christina Applegate isn't too far off for Kelli's role.

I'm pretty sure other young couples have seen commercials for the new show and thought to themselves the exact same thing we are! Sure it's not our story but it very easily could be! Take last night for example . . .

9:30 pm - I finally get frustrated with Charly's stubborn refusal to fall asleep so I put her in her crib to cry.

10:00 pm - Charly is finally asleep.

12:00 am - Charly wakes up. Kelli takes her to our bed and she falls back asleep.

1:00 am - I move Charly to her crib.

1:01 am - Charly wakes up screaming. I go in her room.

1:30 am - Charly is still sitting in her crib taking part in an intense staring contest with me. She refuses to sleep. I gave up. Kelli brings a blanket and pillow into the room to sleep with her. They sang songs together for nearly an hour. Still, Charly refuses to sleep.

Sometime between 3:00-4:00 am - Kelli returns to bed.

6:00 am - Charly is up and at 'em! Ready for some breakfast.

This is not our normal nightly routine. Last night was worse than others. But lately she hasn't gone to bed until 9:00-9:30 pm (Kelli deals with that). She usually wakes up once, if not twice, in the middle of the night (I deal with that). And she's usually up by 7:00 am for the day. I can't understand how a person so small can function and operate on so little!

A few weeks ago Kelli and I visited our friends Shawn and Kali while we were up seeing a Twins game. They just had a beautiful new baby girl, Maci Mae, and while we were visiting a nurse stopped by to check in on Kali and Maci (not so much Shawn). She talked to them about many things (that we had heard before from our own nurses), specifically sleeping. She told them to aim for 8 hours of sleep within a 24 hour period. Naps during the day count. I don't think Kelli or I get anywhere near that! And Charly's 17 months old, a far cry from a newborn!

Kelli and I want to get away one last time before school starts up, and take her on a good ole' fashion Midwest family vacation, but now we're scared that we're going to throw her sleeping routine off for good. I guess it can't really be damaged any more than it is now! In fact, she sleeps better in a car than she does in her own crib!

2 comments:

khenrichs said...

Charly is just like her Uncle Taylor! Taylor just seemed to require very little sleep-10 minute naps & a couple hours of sleep a night and he was good to go! It's crazy and exhausting but try to stay calm & keep a sense of humor. Just love her,(they grow so quickly!)and bring her to Grandma's when you need a good night's rest!! Hang in there!

Kali said...

Dude! We should totally iChat at like 3:47 in the morning! Maci is getting better and dare I say a routine is forming… which means we'll be up all night tonight regretting every word I just typed.