Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rocking Chair, Oh Rocking Chair

Jordan does most of the writing on this blog. He is a writer, he’s informative, he’s not mushy, and he knows his way around a blog. I am a writer too but a discreet one. I keep a daily diary of activities Charly is involved in, accomplishments she has achieved, and letters I have written her since her birth. Even though I don’t write on here very often I wanted to share a little bit of history with you…

Rocking chairs; a family heirloom, a piece of childhood that each of us can remember. Grandma and Grandpa Wiebke gave Chad his rocking chair, and it was always one of my favorites. The cherry wood, with detailed roped spindles, and wicker backing was a staple in our living room. Jodi’s rocking chair and mine were simpler. Jodi’s was filled with bite marks and mine was filled with cabbage patch dolls.

Our rocking chairs took on a whole new meaning when we had our own children. Watching my nephews rock in Chad’s chair in my parent’s living room, fighting over who could sit in it next, made me smile inside. I couldn’t wait until I had children of my own to fight over the rocking chair and watch them enjoy a little piece of our childhood.

I had that opportunity the other day. Over a year ago, my parents brought my rocking chair to my home. I don’t know if it was a way of getting stuff out of their basement or a hint to start having a baby, but it was now back to it’s rightful owner. The first year at our home it spent its days in the basement. It stored our clothes, boxes, became a drying rack for jeans, and took up space. A week ago, I decided it needed a new purpose; it needed a 6-month old bottom in its seat. I took the circular laundry basket off of the seat, removed the pair of pants lying on its back,and dusted it off. I hauled it outside to partake in a photo shoot with its new friend, Charly. I was excited to start creating new memories, and I was just as excited that Charly was able to sit up in it.

Rocking Chair…you better get accustomed to that little behind sitting in your seat. She will rock you to sleep, drool on your arms, laugh in your accompaniment, and give you the ride of your life. You will love Charly and Charly will love you. I can’t wait for you to be the centerpiece in our living room!

1 comment:

Beau said...

Cute Post Kelli, and Chuck is such a doll.